And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been.
- Rainer Maria Rilke
Happy New Year! As we unpack our weekend bags from Christmas and New Year visits with friends and family, we wanted to take a few moments to reflect back on another year of outdoor adventures, creating our beloved Kootenay and outdoor inspired goods, and collaborating with even more awesome small businesses.
Here is a re-cap of some of our 2018 highlights.
- PNW lovin' and ocean views on a Seattle and Tofino trip
- Hiking throughout BC and Alberta
- Celebrating Canada 151 at the top of Kicking Horse Mountain & throughout Yoho National Park
- Up close and personal with a giant grizzly bear named Boo in Golden
- Epic beach days and campfire nights on East Shore Kootenay Lake
- A gloriously unplugged back country weekend at Radius Retreat (Radium)
Apparel & Goods:
- Amazing markets and pop-up shops in Creston, Kimberley, Fernie and Calgary (Stay tuned for our 2019 event announcements!)
- 3 custom shirts designs: Caseys Community House in Creston, Accelerate Kootenays (Fernie) and for the lovely singer/songwriter Lisa Nicole (Trail)
- 2 super fun photoshoots with fellow lady bosses Justine and Natalie Pinchak Photography
- Working with new Kootenay models rocking their first photoshoots
- A *NEW* brand name with updated logo and tagline
- New toques and flannels in the online shop
- Working with and sharing ideas with new small business contacts like Wild Wolves Design (Fernie), Soco Soaps (Elko) and Friday Sock Co. (Calgary), to name a few
- Being part of the Grand Opening of new Kootenay hot spot, Casey's Community House in Creston
- Hosting our biggest giveaways to date: 4 epic Holiday contests featuring some of our favourite Canadian made products
- Working even harder to promote small businesses, local peeps from the Kootenays, Calgary, and beyond.
- Reducing our environmental impact with Canadian made and/or plastic-free and sustainable lifestyle products
We are really looking forward to 2019. Every year we gain more knowledge. Like little sponges (minus the smell), we soak up learning experiences from all the missteps and all the wins that come our way.
Our Instagram has really taken a leap this year as we have worked hard to provide high quality imagery and relevant content, feature amazing photos from other adventure-minded peeps, as well as showcase even more fellow businesses, who like us, share a passion for what they're doing. If you are a small business owner working on your own social gains, do know this... it's not the amount of followers you have that reflects your product or service's worth or your talent. If you are posting content and ideas that mean something to you, something that makes you jump out of bed in the morning, then that's what matters. This is what people will engage with and eventually you will find your niche. Many businesses don't even rely on social media. For us, it's something we actually really enjoy so when people resonate with it, it's a bonus! It encourages us to try new things and always improve on what we did last.
The key to growth is acknowledging your fear of the unknown and jumping in anyway.
- Jen Sincero
This year we saw a big increase in repeat customers which is a huge compliment. To know that people have bought our stuff, and then came back for more, is a true validation of hard work and our strongest efforts to provide solid customer service. We've even been able to meet some of these customers in person at markets which is really cool!
A big thank you to everyone for your support during our brand update. The name change was due to a number of circumstances and if we can be so bold as to brag a bit, we really worked our butts off to revamp our name, modernize our logo, and also flip everything in a smooth and seamless manner. Just a couple of super meticulous graphic designers over here! It paid off and things went really well. You just never know when technology might bite you in the ass right!?
Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.
- Albert Einstein
On a real-life level we had a few difficult months this year due to a personal matter. We care very much about the success of our business, but when it comes to our children and the health of our family members, that will always come first.
We are so inspired by others who also have the drive and hustle to pull the all nighters, create content and product that's original and genuine, as well as share their insights to help others. Many of the entrepreneurs we've collaborated with and hung out with this year are like us - their business isn't their full-time job. It takes a lot of drive to be able to balance it all and it's so cool to know that we are not alone with some of our shared struggles! We are super thankful to a handful of you that have been great moral supporters this year.
The New Year is always rife with possibility and we do know a few things for sure: Extended Boxing Day deals (T's for $10!), new products rolling out for Spring, event dates lined up, and a few other surprises that we will keep under wraps... for now. We hope that you stick around to see!
Thanks again to longtime followers for your support and HELLO to anyone out there reading this who is new to the brand. Wishing you health and happiness in 2019.
Leah & Kelsey
Instead of trying to make your life perfect, give yourself the freedom to make it an adventure, and go ever upward.
- Drew Houston